Confessions of a Wii Addict...

>> Monday, January 5, 2009

Hello, My name is Jen, and I am addicted to my Wii. There, I said it. It's out there for the world to judge me by.

Last October, we cashed in a bunch of credit card points and bought ourselves a Wii game system. Now, I have never been much of a "Gamer" (gotta love my use of the hip lingo). I am not very adept at pushing buttons A and B at the same time as standing on my head and reciting the Constitution. I am more of a push button A and hope the thing shoots some other thing. But... now the Wii came along. It is the answer to all of us who loved our Atari and Pong games. this game is as simple or complicated as you want to make it. Even my 76 year old mom can play it. I am fascinated by the fact that it actually mimics your moves in real life with the moves on the screen. It is amazing technology that can turn even the most technologically and digitally challenged amonst us into "Gamers".

We have several games to play on our Wii now (about 8, I think), but by far my favorite is Mario Kart. You get to use a little steering wheel to race your kart or motorbike around on fantastic imaginary worlds and courses. I love it. I get to ram other cars, race my husband, and sometimes even blow stuff up. Well, if I manage to stay on the course and not race off the edge into oblivion only to see my little kart turn into a roiling ball of fire... Oh, and get this, you can play some Wii games, like Mario Kart, over the internet. Yes, you can challenge your buddies, the annoying kid next door, or even some unknown dude in Norway to a round of Mario Kart. It's a blast to kick peoples butts by remote. All the glory without even changing out of your loungy clothes or leaving the sofa.

Finally, since it sounds like this game is turning me into a Couch Potato, I want to make sure everyone knows that the Wii can also help you exercise. The boxing game is particularly taxing on the old body. Our neighbors recently bought the Wii Fit board, and say that the exercise programs on that game are also wonderful. So... maybe that will be my next toy.

Happy Wii-ing!

1 comments:

Unknown January 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM  

oooooo! I am a bit jealous, I played wii over break while I was on vaction visiting my friends. They have wii rock band. You need to check this one out if you can. I think there are demos at best buy. Anyhow you either sing, play fake guitar or play fake drums or with a group three people can perform all these tasks and hence the name "rock band". Now the singing actually requires you to be able to sing well and the drums do a pretty good job of mimicing the necessary tasks of drummin, but the fake guitar is really rather stupid and involves merely pushing the appropriate colored key on the fret board while strumming a tab. Nonetheless its pretty darn fun. I would like to try the boking and the fit board. Which games does mom play?

Thanks for reading!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP